Pregnancy Ticker

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Date Night Traditions and Discussions

Ever since August 7, 2007, Mitch and I have gone on "date night" every single Tuesday that we possibly could go to. We've missed a handful (less than 10) due to illness or vacation, but it is something that we treasure and cherish in our relationship.

It used to be that we would always go to Grizzly's Bar and Grill right here in town every single week. We were known by name by a majority of waiters and waitresses and we were always recognized. Our main waiter for the last year was Dan and we truly did enjoy having him call us by name; joking and having fun with us. We were even joking with Dan that he would be one of the first to know if we were successful in our attempts to become pregnant because that would be the night that I would order the "Kodiak Burger", the biggest burger that they had on the menu. Unfortunately, Grizzly's did not last as they went out of business after 15 years of being open just a few months ago. Since then, we have still continued our date night, but we have made it a traveling date night. We keep trying new places in town and we haven't quite found the right place yet.

It's odd to be jumping from place to place on date night when, for over 2 years, we always went to Grizzly's. Mitch and I both enjoy having traditions and it can be difficult to alter a tradition that you have grown to love. It is a little disappointing to know that we no longer have the relationship with the "Grizzly's Society" that took 2+ years to build and that I will never have the Kodiak Burger to announce my pregnancy to that particular group of people.

We are still looking for a new "home" for our Tuesday Date Night, however I am beyond thankful that we still continue to have our date night. It is so wonderful to have something to look forward to each week and I firmly believe that it does wonders for our relationship together. It is something that I want to continue to do throughout our marriage and I know that Mitch feels the same. Even as we begin to create a family, we both know that Date Night will carry on and we couldn't be happier knowing that.

So last night after our date night at Carbone's, we discussed exactly *when* we are going to start trying to conceive. Previously we have always said "January 1, 2010", but due to my cycle, that is not going to work. So, we are faced with either the end of December or the end of January. This may not seem like a big deal, but in all reality it is to us. December is prior to when we discussed, but only by about a week. January is after we discussed, but a little later than what we had originally been thinking. I am of the opionion that we should start trying in December as it is only a week earlier and we never know exactly when we will be successful. We may be successful on our very first try or it may take 6 months. We decided that we still have a month to make any final decisions, but I think December will win both of our votes.

I also think that we might keep the fact that we are going to start trying in December a secret from most others if that is the route that we decide upon. So far, it is just my mom outside of the two of us that knows of the potential new "attempt date". For some reason I am very nervous about the potential of not being able to conceive right away and I think that maybe if others don't know of our first attempts, it might take some pressure off of us. This is probably me just being silly, but it makes sense in my mind. I guess I need to just try and content myself with the knowledge that what will be, will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment